We all know a vacation is not only fun and a great way to spend time with loved ones, but it's actually good for you too! The daily grind can really weigh you down, week in, and week out of doing the same things over and over, vacations are one of the best ways to unplug, recharge, relax, and help us get back to the daily grind without the feelings of overwhelm and exhaustion.
Sometimes, however, vacations are not always affordable for many of us, especially if we find we need them way more often than once a year! The great thing about a staycation is not only will it save you a ton of money and help you get the much-needed benefits of a much-needed vacation, but it's much less stressful (not having to deal with travel!) and you can do it every single weekend if you like!
7 Tips for a Planning the Perfect Staycation that will leave you rested, relaxed, and totally rejuvenated
1. Take cooking out of the picture and order in meals so you can spend the weekend on other fun activities. Enjoy cooking together? Splurge at the supermarket on ingredients you might normally not buy and cook up that delicious dinner you've been wanting to try! Serve each other breakfast in bed! Set up a picnic in your backyard or grill outdoors for the weekend to take you out of your daily routine.
2. Treat yourself to an affordable spa day by drawing a super relaxing bubble bath, lighting the candles, and pouring a glass of wine or champagne! Give each other massages, make yourself some yummy spa by filling a pitcher with cucumber, lemon, limes, or watermelon and sip on it all weekend long!
3. Spend more time outdoors. Find activities to do together in the backyard, such as relaxing in a hammock, reading a book, relaxing under the stars, or playing some fun outdoor games with your family.
4. Looking for good family activities? Visit your city tourist attractions - chances are you haven't done many of them!
5. Invest in some luxury to help make your weekend feel like a real hotel stay. Place some lovely fresh flowers in your bedroom, fill a bucket with ice and bring in the champagne! Purchase some luxurious sustainable, fair-trade Alterra Pure hotel grade sheets that are so soft and high quality - you'll feel like you're sleeping in a fancy hotel! Created by former Patagonia, Easton and Tecnica Group execs, Kevin Dixon and Wanda Weller, Alterra Pure's regenerative cotton farms rely solely on rainwater -- no irrigation. All the water used for production is recovered, recycled and reused - so not only can you totally relax and sleep like a dream in these heirloom percale weave quality sheets that improve with age, but you can feel good about it too! AND you don't have to leave it behind in the hotel! They're yours to sleep on night after night so you can get the real sleep and relaxation benefits of staying in a hotel, every night at home!
6. Don't forget to unplug! Put away all devices- cell phones and computers- and treat your staycation like a real vacation!
7. Hire a cleaning service to come in and clean before and/or after your staycation weekend - so you can get back to work without worrying about the messy state of the house!
Relaxing, unplugging, and getting in quality time with loved ones doesn't have to cost a fortune! It's easy to build your relaxation oasis right at home, as well as find fun, relaxing, and adventurous activities to do right in your own backyard- literally!
The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres. We publish pieces written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Learn more or join us as a community member!