Women-owned businesses in the United States continue to grow at a faster rate than any other demographic. Not only that, women-owned businesses are generating more revenue, hiring more employees, and contributing more to the national economy.
With this shift comes increasing pressure to be, do and have it all. Throw the responsibilities of motherhood into the mix, and the pressure intensifies even more. Female entrepreneurs are often faced with some level of fear. Fear that if you neglect your business for your relationship, it could cost you your business. Fear that if you neglect your relationship for your business, you could lose your partner, your family, and friendships.
As a woman who has had success in the corporate world and now three years into an entrepreneurial journey, I am reminded daily of the need to not necessarily find balance (something that I don't believe exists) between business and all other components of my life, but to find healthy harmony. I coach high-achieving women and encourage them to discover and define what works best for them and their relationships, overall.
It goes without saying that an unhealthy relationship is bad for business. However the same could be said for a struggling business and its effects on a relationship. I am a firm believer in the following:
- Honesty and authenticity are never optional.
- Stay dateable- whether married, in a committed relationship or single.
- Be willing to listen as much as you desire to speak.
- Never go to bed angry.
- Time management, self-care and prioritization are essential.
Another Valentine's Day has come and gone, but it's never too late to share a few of my favorite quotes regarding success and relationships.
- Personal relationships are the fertile soil from which all advancement, all success, all achievement in real life grows.” - Ben Stein
- One aspect of a successful relationship is not just how compatible you are, but how you deal with your incompatibility. -Daniel Goleman
- Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day. - Barbara De Angelis
- No partner in a love relationship... should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable. - May Sarto
- Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with. - Billy Dee Williams
The Struggle Is Real: Balancing Business and BAE is a challenge that many female entrepreneurs must confront. While we are in the world building empires, let us not forget the importance of building and preserving emotional and physical connections with the people that we love. Check out an interview I conducted with Dr. Jenev Caddell, Relationship Coach and Psychologist.
Jacqueline Miller is a certified life coach, confidence-building expert, lifestyle blogger and career and leadership consultant for women, seeking to establish their purpose outside of motherhood. A former senior human resources executive, she also helps leading-edge organizations to boost their success factor, by delivering essential business and personal development skills training, designed to cultivate a workforce of high-performing, well-rounded talent. She is the author of a #1 Amazon bestseller, Get Your Life Back! Your Guide to Guilt-Free Happiness Outside of Motherhood.
The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres. We publish pieces written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Learn more or join us as a community member!