Do you believe that Artificial Intelligence will threat human beings or enable them? When you close your eyes and imagine what changes AI will make to our world, how do you feel?
When I look out in the world we have created were so much hatred, domination, greed and fear are popping everywhere in the surface, I can hardly imagine that we are mature enough as a specie to use AI for the greater good, for inclusion and human prosperity. However, I want to believe that it is in our DNA as humans to build a world where not only us but also our children's children can thrive.
AI is a very controversial topic with huge impact on the way we will live just 30 years from now (beyond what we actually can grasp, I believe). As any industrial revolution, it's just a matter of time till it rolls out. Already today, we are able to proceed almost 300k sales transactions in a second. This is not only big, it is really fast.
The human mind will never be able to match that speed.
As Jack Ma stated it in his recent speech to global leaders in Davos, Switzerland: "computers are always going to be smarter than you are; they never forget, they remember everything, they never get angry, they calculate faster".
His invitation is to grow our human wisdom and luckily, alongside this fourth industrial revolution, there is another phenomenon in our world today and it is the revolution of the heart. More and more people stand up to say no to the old ways driven by fear, greed and insecurity.
More and more people have started to look inside themselves to see the hidden shadows and ugliness that we project out in our world. More and more communities are created to share the human values of an open heart: honesty, compassion, sharing, understanding.
Being a mother of two young children, I really love this statement by Jack Ma:
"If we do not change the way we teach, we will be in trouble. The things we teach our kids is from 200 years; it's knowledge based... We cannot teach our kids to compete with machines. So we need to teach them other things: value, believing, independent thinking, team work, care for others. We should teach our kids sports, music, painting, art... to make sure humans are different from machines".
So I want to dream a positive future with AI and so when I close my eyes, this is what I see, A humanity which has:
- learned to look inward, in their heart instead of hoarding like vampires towards the outside for more stuff to buy, consume and feed-on as a way of escape.
- learned to deal with all emotions equally - the so-called positive as well as the so-called negative - and understood that emotions are messages of the body to the mind.
- unleashed its unlimited creative potential learning to wonder and wander in the worlds of muses and poets and bring down into the tangible reality their dreams to build a wonder-full future.
- closed this old wound of separation from Nature and others and is thriving through connectedness.
Why does this image fullfill my heart's longing for a thriving world?
Because this means we have succeeded in bringing balance to our three power centres and we live in harmony with AI:
- the mental mind (the intellect), today predominant is safely delegated to AI
- the heart mind (our true power center) has become the leader.
- the emotional mind (our connection between brain and body) is no longer compulsive or obstructed but it is working in service to our overall well-being.
I am very pleased that a leader like Jack Ma cares about what is at stake: " The competition (with Amazon, Google, Facebook...) is not about technology. Today, we have 25K engineers and what I want to make sure is that these people have a great heart inside because if they don't, we are going to make disasters for the world. We have the responsibility to have a good heart to do something good. Making sure everything is for the future".
Everything starts with a dream, a vision and the more we are holding this vision of harmony, the more likely we are to create a world where AI is enabling and empowering humanity to rise to the next level.
The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres. We publish pieces written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Learn more or join us as a community member!