I discovered from my research that teams who won multiple championships had players and coaches that understood their position on the team. Each player knew what his main responsibility and role was in making their team champions. They made a commitment as a unified team that everyone was going to play his position at a high level every game.
They decided to put the team above the individual. This took major dedication from each player to give up his personal success for the team. This kind of dedication and commitment took a major adjustment in their thinking. For some players it took a transformation in how they approached and played each game. The players from repeat championship teams understood that when the team wins everyone wins.
I learned from my study of these multiple championship teams that there were seven key positions (point guard, shooting guard, power forward, small forward, center, sixth man and coach) that must be performed with excellence in every game.
The more I studied these teams the more I became enamored with their approach to winning. What I loved about these teams is that not one player got outside of their position of purpose. If he did, he was quickly reminded that their ultimate mission was to win a championship.
Each player over time learned to play within his purpose on the team. In other words the point guard didn’t try to be the center nor did the center try to do what the point guard was purposed to do.
When everyone knows and understands their position and performs it at their best, they can achieve great results. The results for these basketball teams were championships. They became great teams that will always be labeled as great champions.
I have learned that if I focus on my purpose and live according to the way God has designed me, then I can achieve success His way. My purpose is not just about me, but it is for everyone that God has connected to me.
After studying the key positions on repeat basketball championship teams, I have realized seven positions for living your purpose with power. I matched the seven key positions of a repeat championship basketball team with seven positions of purpose and here are my results.
1. Coach – Communicates the organization’s vision to the team. You must effectively communicate your purpose to those that are connected to you through verbal and nonverbal actions.
2. Point Guard– Concentrates on leading the team on the court. You must remain concentrated (focused) so that you direct your thoughts, attention and actions towards your desired purpose.
3. Shooting Guard –Consistently needs to hit key shots. You must be consistent by having a reliable, dependable and coherent approach to daily living that aligns yourself with your purpose.
4. Power Forward – Courage to be the physical player that gives up his body. You must have courage to stand when everyone else wants to run and to act when everyone is paralyzed by fear.
5. Small Forward – Confidence to guard the opponent’s best player. You must have the confidence and reliance in your abilities and gifts to accomplish your purpose.
6. Center – Character to be the strong force in the middle. Your character is who you are when no one is looking and what you are willing to stand for when everyone is looking.
7. 6th Man – Commitment to coming off the bench. You must make a commitment between your heart, mind and emotions that moves you on a direct course of action in pursuing your purpose.
I know that there are more positions to your purpose, but I believe that these seven are vitally important in fulfilling your God given purpose. If you apply these seven positions of purpose to your daily life, you will see your purpose prosper and your life excel.
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
Question: What are you willing to sacrifice or give up to live your purpose? Leave a comment below.
Originally published at leadtoimpact.com
The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres. We publish pieces written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Learn more or join us as a community member!