You’ve gotten through the first few moments, the drink orders, the self-conscious chit-chat about the weather. An awkward silence ensues. Whether you want to score a second date or can’t wait to beat a hasty exit, here are five things that you should avoid saying at all costs:
- Don’t worry, it’s not contagious.
- That’s my ex sitting over by the bar, but no worries he likes checking out all my dates.
- You remind me of my father/mother. (That first kiss? Forget about it.)
- My job sucks because there’s a guy in my department who is definitely out to get me. It started six months ago. Let me give you ALL the details. (Tip: No one wants to hear about the intricacies of your job issues, especially when they don’t know the players.
- I love you. (Because A. You can’t love someone you just met. B. It will scare the bejeezus and of them.)
Originally published at medium.com
The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres. We publish pieces written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Learn more or join us as a community member!